Holidays can be a wonderful time of the year, but for many of us it can also be a very challenging time. Well, this year has proven to be especially difficult in so many ways so iFoster wanted to spread some holiday cheer!!
We’ve come up with a list of events, shows, activities, songs and podcasts to help brighten your holidays – we all need to feel connected, even when we must be apart.
Virtual Holiday Events
Please Note: These events have not been viewed by the iFoster team so we cannot confirm their quality, nor are we endorsing them over any other event you find and may wish to visit. We are providing this list as a resource. Most of the events listed here are rated PG (open to all audiences) unless otherwise indicated below. Please use your discretion and enjoy!
All events listed below are virtual – click on the links to get tickets or log in information.
The Hip Hop Nutcracker Recorded live at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, the Hip Hop Nutcracker is a contemporary dance spectacle set to Tchaikovsky’s timeless music. Tickets are $25/household. Shown on multiple days/times throughout December
Register to see Santa for Free Sam’s Club members can sign up for a FREE visit with Santa. First come, first served. Register at link to view available times.
Paid Virtual Visit with Santa This is one of many services set up for a fee based virtual visit with Santa. Packages start at $25. Click on link for more information and available times.
Hanukkah Celebration The Skirball’s popular Hanukkah Festival is celebrated online this year. All are invited to celebrate the Festival of Lights. The event features a community candle lighting and a lively sing-along to create a festive mood. FREE but rsvps are recommended. Show is December 11th at 3 pm ET.
Register here for Shabbat Service Shabbat Service and celebrate 2nd night of Hanukkah. This event is FREE and can be seen on December 11 at 7 pm PT.
Kwanzaa singing and dancing This virtual Kwanzaa concert is performed by OrigiNation’s – they raise awareness about the influences of African Culture in the performing arts and share cultural experiences between Boston youth and youth from different parts of Africa. Tickets are $10 and can be seen on December 12th at 3 pm ET
A Christmas Celebration of the Ages Join the internationally-acclaimed Heralds of Harmony Music, celebrating songs of the seasons. Must register for this FREE event on December 13 at 3 pm ET.
Kwanzaa Storytime Santa Clara City Library is hosting an event to celebrate Kwanzaa through songs and story time. This is FREE, but you must register. Event is December 23rd at 1:30 ET.
The Nutcracker: New Paltz Ballet Theater presents the classic Nutcracker ballet: This is a FREE event showing December 24th 7 pm ET and January 1st at 10 PM ET.
Christmas Eve Jingle On Christmas Eve, everyone around the world is invited to come outside on their doorsteps and ring a bell for 2 minutes to spread Christmas spirit! This is FREE and no link, just spread the word!
Kwanzaa Film Festival tickets This is a Kwanzaa Film Festival community organized in Harlem. See individual films for ratings and show times, but many of them are PG-13. Cost is $20/short films and $30 for features. Takes place December 26-31st.
Virtual Festival Featuring Mexican Traditions of Las Posadas This virtual festival features the beautiful Mexican traditions of Las Posadas, a re-enactment of Mary and Joseph seeking refuge for the birth of the baby Jesus, among other celebrations. FREE and will be live streamed on Facebook on December 27th at 2 pm ET.
Network Shows are free if you have these channels. Please check your local listings for times:
NBC – all listed here are PG
Dr Seuss’ The Grinch Musical! Dec 9 and Dec 21
It’s a Wonderful Life Dec 24
Christmas Eve Mass Dec 24
How the Grinch Stole Christmas Dec 25
New Year’s Eve Special Dec 31
ABC – all listed here are PG
The Great Christmas Light Fight Wednesdays in December
Shrek the Halls Dec 18
Disney Parks Magical Christmas Day Celebration Dec 25
CBS – all listed here are PG
Garth & Trisha Live! A holiday concert Dec 20
Stream for free anytime if you have these streaming services:
Netflix. All listed here are PG (all audiences):
- Jingle Jangle
- The Christmas Chronicles (1 & 2)
- The Grinch
- Disney+. All are PG (all audiences):
- Santa Clause (1, 2 & 3)
- Home Alone (1, 2 & 3)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
Amazon Prime Video – some may cost $. Shows listed here are PG, but one is PG-13.
- A Madea Christmas
- The Holiday (rated PG-13)
- The Polar Express
Holiday How Do I Activities
- DIY Christmas Tree with pine cones
- Hot Cocoa Bombs!
- Reindeer Craft
- Paper snowflake
- Christmas Cookies
- Gingerbread House
- 20 Easy Xmas Crafts
- What is Kwanzaa?
- Kwanzaa Cooking
- Making traditional Mexican Christmas Food
- DIY Stockings
- DIY Oragami Dreidel
- Play the Dreidel Game
- How to make latkes
- Easy holiday Wassail – non-alcoholic drink
Favorite Holiday Songs
These are not holiday specific podcasts, but rather podcasts that you can listen to year round. These particular podcasts can help boost your spirits, expose you to new ideas and information, motivate and inspire or just provide some time to chill.
All of these podcasts are generally appropriate for all ages, but please be sure to be aware of the topic for specific podcasts to make sure the subject is appropriate for younger children.
- The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes This former professional athlete interviews people to see how they made it to the top.
- The Daily Boost Every day you get 10 minutes of practical, funny, real life tips that will boost your confidence and kick start your day
- How I Built This Dives into the stories behind some of the world’s best known companies. How I Built This weaves a narrative journey about innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists—and the movements they built.
- Unlocking Us Brene Brown, researcher and social worker, talks with guests about vulnerability, human connection, and courage.
- Happier If you need a little motivation to practice good habits that lead to a happier life, give this podcast a listen.
- Science of Success The goal of the show is to get you thinking about your potential for success and learn ways to become a better version of yourself.
- The Good Life Project Through interviews filled with thought-provoking questions, host Jonathan Fields asks guests to share something unfiltered about their life, and how they’ve turned those experiences into powerful messages of hope and happiness.
- The Habit Coach Each episode is centered around tips and motivation that encourage you to create new habits that impact your daily life.
From all of us at iFoster, have a safe and happy holiday season!